Stewarts Bay Lodge is the ideal base for exploring the incredible Tasman Peninsula. There is something for everyone - young and old, adventurous or relaxed, wild or mild.
Explore the many attractions at Pirates Bay including the Tasman Arch, the Blowhole, Devil's Kitchen and the Tessellated Pavement. After a visit to the Port Arthur Historic Site, continue on to the Remarkable Cave and the beautiful Safety Cove beach. Other historic attractions include the Coal Mines at Saltwater River and the Cascades at Koonya.
Join the adventure
Tasman Island Cruises - Cruise along the spectacular coastline of the Tasman National Park between Eaglehawk Neck and Port Arthur for this exciting 3 hour eco-cruise. Marvel at the highest sea cliffs in the Southern Hemisphere that rise sheer out of the ocean, enter deep sea caves and glimpse seals, whales and abundant bird species. Contact reception for details.
Port Arthur Historic Site - Port Arthur is Australia's most significant convict site and one of Australia's greatest tourist destinations. Every building and every feature throughout Port Arthur has a story to tell. Created with convict labour, the impressive architecture, delightful gardens and chilling prison facilities survive today for you to explore. Visitors gain access to wonderful guided walks, cruises to Point Puer and the Isle of the Dead, night time ghost tours and so much more. Tickets are available from the reception at Stewarts Bay Lodge. Find out more information today!
Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park - Meet the famous little devils, hand-feed friendly kangaroos and watch the famous bird show at the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park at Taranna which is just 10 minutes drive north of Stewarts Bay Lodge. You will find native birds and animals, the Devils in the Dark Tours, a vineyard café and so much more. Contact reception for details.
Tasman Peninsula Walks - The Port Arthur area and the Tasman Peninsula reward the walker with beautiful forests and magnificent coastal scenery. Publications are available which outline a significant slice of Tasmania's history. Tasman Nature Guiding also provides guided walking tours all over the Tasman Peninsula. Call 03 6250 3268 today to learn more.
Coal Mines - Just 25 minutes drive from Stewarts Bay are the Coal Mines at Saltwater River. Explore this well signposted convict site on your own self-guided tour.
Point Puer Historic Site - Only 10 minutes drive from Stewarts Bay is the historic site that was the first British purpose-built reforming institution for criminal boys who were transported to Port Arthur.
Waterfall Bay - Travel by road to Eaglehawk Neck and take the turn to Pirates Bay. Turn right at the sign before Doo Town. A short walk will allow you to marvel at the spectacular coastal cliffs and waterfall that drops over sheer rock faces to the Tasman Sea below.
Remarkable Cave - Turn left as you leave Stewarts Bay Lodge. Turn left again at Safety Cove Road and continue to the end of the road. It is just a short walk to Remarkable Cave, Crescent Bay and Maignon Lookout. This area also functions as the main access to Mount Brown and Crescent Bay and rock climbers can access the cliffs around West Head and Dauntless Point from this site.
Roaring Beach - Drive through Nubeena and take the signposted turn to Roaring Beach. This area is home to some of the best surfing waves in the world. When the conditions are right these massive waves are awesome to watch.
Eaglehawk Dive Centre - An incredible range of scuba diving sites including 25m high Giant Kelp forests, seal colonies and sea caves. Call 03 6250 3566 or contact reception to learn more.
Fishing and Boating - The waters off the Tasman Peninsula are famous around Australia and overseas as home to some of the best fishing anywhere in the world. Doongarra Fishing Charters are the people to talk to to arrange for fishing trips during your stay with us on the Peninsula. These charters will take you game, deep sea, reef or bay fishing. Phone Scott Johnston on 03 6250 3350 or mobile 0428 503 350. Contact reception today to learn more.
Fishing gear is available for hire from Stewarts Bay Lodge reception.
Local shopping and attractions
- IGA Supermarkets - Drive 10 minutes from Port Arthur to the picturesque seaside township of Nubeena where there is a choice of two supermarkets.
- Dunalley Fish Markets - Next to the bridge in Dunalley you will find one of the freshest fish markets around. In season you can also purchase crayfish.
- Strawberry Farm - Turn at the signpost on the top of the hill that overlooks Eaglehawk Neck and Pirates Bay. These superb strawberries are hydroponically grown. Pick your own.
- Pirates Bay Octopus - The popular marinated Pirates Bay Octopus is caught fresh from the seas surrounding the Tasman Peninsula. This delectable seafood is available from local shops.
- Doo Town Meats - Some of the tastiest sausages and finest venison in Tasmania come from Doo Town Meats. If you see it on a menu, take the opportunity to enjoy these tasty treats.
- Rannoch Quail - Bred near Nubeena on the Tasman Peninsula, local quail can be found on menus at Australia's top restaurants including our own "Gabriel's on the Bay".
- Federation Chocolates - Opposite the Devil Park at Taranna. View the art of chocolate making and enjoy the tastings.
- Tasman Farmers Market at Taranna - Open every Sunday from 10am-2pm at Taranna. Look for the signs as you pass through Taranna which is only 10 minutes drive north of Stewarts Bay Lodge.
- Port Arthur Lavender - Just over 5 minutes drive north of Stewarts Bay Lodge, purchase all things Lavender from this internationally recognised working property.